Post Face and Eye Surgery Instruction
ICE (To Decrease
Immediate Face lift Swelling):
- It is very important to apply ice to your face for the first 3 days
after facial surgery; this will decrease any swelling or bruising that you may have.
- Apply ice for 15-20 minutes every 4-6 hour the first 24 hours after your procedure while awake. You can use either an ice/gel pack wrapped in a soft cloth or frozen peas (in a plastic bag) wrapped in a soft cloth.
(To Decrease Late Face lift Swelling):
- On the 4th Post-Operative day
(after facelift or eyelid surgery), use warm soaks to your facial incisions; apply for 15-20 minutes every 3-4 hours. You can do this for 2-3 days, while awake.
Position After Face Lift:
- If possible, sleep with your back elevated on 2-3 pillows for the first 3-4 nights; this helps to keep swelling to a minimum. Just make sure your neck is not stretched.
- If you go home with a facial wrap in place, you must keep it on for 24 hours after your surgery. You may take it off to eat & shower ONLY!
- If your face lift involved liposuction or platysmaplasty you should wear the wrap for three days. On the 4th post-operative day, you will need to wear the wrap at night-time (while sleeping) for one (1) week) See below for instructions on cleaning your incisions.
- You may take shower 2 days after facelift
or eyelid surgery. You can wash you’re hair with baby shampoo.
FACELIFT INCISION CLEANING:
- Clean your incision area twice (2) daily.
- Use a mixture of half- &-half hydrogen peroxide and warm water for 7 days.
- After cleaning your incisions, apply Bacitracin Ointment to the area(s) for 7 days.
- It is important to keep your facial sutures moist; apply Bacitracin Ointment every 4-5 hours.
- If you have incisions either over or under your eyes, use WARM WATER
- Only & apply Lacri-Lube Ointment to the area(s).
- At night, apply the Lacri-Lube ointment directly into your eyes to keep them moist. To do this, apply a thin line of the Lacri-Lube along your lower lid, starting at your inner eye. When you blink, the ointment will cover the eye & they will be kept moist.
This will make your vision slightly blurry.
If your incisions are not shiny; APPLY MORE.
USE ONLY WARM WATER ON YOUR EYES; NO PEROXIDE.
There are no restrictions on your diet, but we recommend having a light meal after your procedure. Good nutrition aids in the healing process. Drink plenty of water & other fluids.
(BLEEDING AFTER FACELIFT):
bleeding is normal over the 4-5 hours after your procedure & could last up to 24 hours.
- Some people will have more drainage than others; THIS IS NORMAL!
Excessive bleeding is not normal.
- If you have bleeding from your incisions, apply light pressure to the area(s) with gauze 4X4 for 5 minutes, using 2-3 fingers. If this doesn't stop the bleeding, notify
Dr Simoni or go to the nearest emergency room.
(CONTROL INFECTION AND PAIN AFTER FACELIFT):
- Take pain medications as needed; Extra-Strength Tylenol is OK, but NO ASPIRIN PRODUCTS!
- Take your Antibiotics as directed. IMPORTANT: please finish all medication!
- Take your sleeping medications (if prescribed) as needed.
If you do not have sleeping medication you can take over the counter
- Take medications with food to help decrease stomach upset.
- The second or the third day is usually the worst day for swelling. One side of your face may
swell more than the other side & can be distorting. Remember; this is normal---give it time.
This is part of the healing process.
If you have sedation during your procedure or take prescription pain medications prior to your
procedure, DO NOT DRIVE, OPERATE MACHINERY, OR MAKE ANY IMPORTANT DECISIONS for 24 hours; medications may cause dizziness & can impair your judgment.
1) KEEP EXERTION TO A MINIMUM: NO BENDING OVER OR LIFTING HEAVY OBJECTS MORE THAN 25 POUNDS.
2) NO ASPIRIN OR VITAMIN E UNTIL YOUR SUTURES ARE REMOVED.
3) YOU MAY SHOWER & WASH YOUR HAIR 48 HOURS AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE: DO NOT USE SOAP ON THE INCISION LINES.
4) CONTACT LENSES: YOU CAN WEAR THEM 1-WEEK AFTER YOUR EYE PROCEDURE, OR AS INSTRUCTED BY